Voting

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Canyonlands Half Marathon ~ Moab, Utah



Those of you who know me, you know I don't like running!!! I love sports, love going to the gym and doing anything "active" but when it comes to a nice jog around the block..... um NO!!! So right after Christmas, my friend Kristi told me she had committed to a half marathon in March and asked if I'd like to do it with her. I laughed.... (HARD!) then proceeded to tell her "A.... no way, Jose!! Have a great time though!" But then the next day, I couldn't stop thinking about it and I ended up calling her and telling her I would do it with her. I sooooo didn't want to miss out on a fun "girl-getaway"!!! Um.... "fun"???? WHATEVER!! The last "race" I was in was in high school running the 100 meter hurdles!!! Yah, a bit different than a half marathon, I know. I seriously do NOT know what I was thinking! But I decided I wasn't getting any younger and before I hit the big 4-0 I really wanted to do something cool like this. This was completely out of my comfort zone but I decided to make the commitment and follow through. There were 6 of us from Castle Rock and the race was on March 20. We started our training right after Christmas and I can honestly say, it was TOUGH! I don't know if I can ever do another one.... but I am soooo glad I challenged myself and was able to finish.

The friends who participated were: Julie LaClare, Kristen Davis, Kelli Cook, Tracie Ware, Kristi Schmidt and me. I was really proud of my friends, they all set times for themselves that they wanted to beat and each of them accomplished their goal! It was a great weekend for everyone.... especially AFTER the run was over!!



Kelli & Jeni








Kristi & Tracie





Julie & Kristen





The night before the race, the whole group went to a yummy pasta dinner in Moab. You know, a few carbs and a little protein to get us fired up for the following morning right??? So here is a few of us at dinner......

As good as that dinner was, it would come back to haunt me!!! I woke up the morning of the race feeling WAY nervous!!! Ok, let's not beat around the bush..... I was SICK!!! Let's just say.... I was the one who was asking where the porta-potties were located on the course!!! NOT A GOOD SIGN!!!! To make a long story short, I STRUGGLED through the entire race!!! I pretty much began the race dehydrated (if you know what I mean!!) so all along the course, whenever there was water being handed out, I tried to indulge!! Nothing stayed down too long but I pressed forward!!! Coming in WAY last in our little group, I was just glad to see that finish line! It wasn't pretty, folks, but it was over!!!!
My friend Kristi emailed me this pic and told me she found it on the race website! WHATEVER!!! She totally photo shopped it but it was still hilarious! A nice little "reminder" of my lovely memories of Moab, Utah! Thanks Kris!!!

After the run, Kristi, Kelli and I drove to Glenwood Springs and stayed the night there. It was such a nice ending to the trip! We soaked our sore muscles in the hot springs and relaxed and enjoyed ourselves! Just a little "treat" for completing our goal!

Kristi and Kelli at Glenwood..... the day after!! A little sore but after soaking in the hot tubs.... feeling MUCH better!


Thanks to my friends, for forcing me, I mean encouraging me to do this run! I couldn't have done it without the "Castle Rock Crew"!!

8 comments:

Justi said...

Ok...I'm totally impressed right now, Jen. You really did it! You accomplished a huge goal, so proud of you. So you had to visit the port-a-potty a few times...so what?! At least you finished and the pace car didn't pick you up. :) Way to go, sista!

Jeanette Braithwaite said...

I with Justi - I am totally impressed!! Wow! Running is always something I wished I could get into - but never got past a mile! haha Congrats! Love ya! Aunt Nettie

The Buhrley Bunch said...

Oh my HECK!!!! I just got so dang homesick for Castle Rock I feel like crying! *no tears...... no tears... no tears!* Congratulations to all of you beautiful, wonderful, lovely ladies!!! I'm so proud of you Jeni!

Paige Photography:) said...

I am SO SO proud of you! I know how bad you hate running! That is totally awesome. Way to go! :)

Paige Photography:) said...

Jeni, it's not Paige,it's Marnae...I can't figure out this computer stuff.

Jodi said...

What? Way to go, Jen! So proud of you right now! I couldn't do it! You go, girl!

Evan Excell said...

Obviously you didn't get the distance running from me. I couldn't run a mile, I'm sure. I know you had a tough time out there, but what the heck, you did it! You finished a half-marathon, are you kidding me? That's great! I'm so proud!
Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen -
I say way to "git er done." I was telling Justi I remembered when I ran my marathon --- they called it a 5K!!! Whatever!!! I seriously thought I would die until I came through the parking lot at Weber State and there all of you were with Dad sitting on the little volkswagon cheering me on!!! Boy, did I find a burst of energy and picked up the pace until I got out of sight from all of you. I was totally last in my group of friends. I don't really remember a lot that came in after me!!! My first and last marathon!!! I am proud of you. Loves --